You can spend as much money as you like perfecting a website, making it look great and giving it a whole host of features, but without any traffic going to it, it’s not going to be very successful. Nowadays, getting traffic to your website is a difficult task but fortunately there are a number of ways to achieve this, both organic and paid.
Social media offers a massive opportunity to bring customers from your social platforms onto your website. Here’s how you can take advantage:
1. Complete all of your social media profiles
It may sound obvious, but the first step is to ensure what you have out there is up to date, consistent and complete. The amount of social media profiles which get published while unfinished is huge. Be sure to have a presence on your main social media platforms and ensure each channel is populated with all of your information. This is a free way to get website clicks! Tips:
- Keep it on-brand and professional
- Ensure your contact information is consistent throughout
- Fill in your website URL in as many places as possible (direct boxes, bio, username)
- Complete all of the empty fields
- Use best practice and keep up to date with latest updates (e.g. if a channel changes the size of page cover images, ensure yours is updated and looking correct!)
2. Join in on the conversation!
Trending topic? Jump on board! One of the best ways to get your social media posts seen is to talk about trending topics (also known as ‘news-jacking’); utilising their respective hashtags. As long as what you’re saying is relevant or a relevant spin, you’ll get more impressions and a greater reach. If the content is appealing it will get clicked on.
Received social mentions? Interact and engage! The amount of businesses who fail to respond to users on their social media accounts never fails to amaze! It takes a matter of seconds to reply to somebody who may or may not be a potential customer. Make the right impression socially and others will see that and in turn come to trust you as a business and ultimately look into you further, potentially reaching out to your website to do so. Tips:
- Don’t just engage in pre-existing conversation – start your own!
- Search your brand name and topics on social media to reply to those who haven’t specifically mentioned you
- Never fail to respond to a mention
- Jump on relevant hashtags with helpful follow-up content
3. Trial paid social media
Organic reach, although achievable, is much more limited than paid reach, and now even more so with Facebook’s latest updates. Don’t look past the endless opportunities of paid social media adverts. We’re helping create big success stories in platforms such as Facebook and you could be the next! Tips:
- Trial and error is key – start small to test, then expand successful campaigns
- Ensure your graphics are high quality or risk a lesser reach
- Video, video, video!
- Make sure your offer is good – promoting anything other than a good offer will not achieve results
- Content must be targeted and relevant to each audience
- Ensure your targeting is as specific as possible and the audience numbers are optimal
- Use the correct tracking code to record results
4. Ensure first class content
Content is king. Ensuring your content is good can make the difference between social media success and disaster. Posting regular mixed and varied content with links, images and call to action can be the difference between successful posts and posts that get buried deep into the news feed. Tips:
- Create your own content and make it easily shareable
- Use high quality graphics
- Shorten URLs with an URL shortening tool
- Share others content but keep it relevant
- Update your pages weekly at worst (daily is ideal)
5. Create a social media strategy
Follow all of the tips you can possibly read and implement them perfectly and you can still fail to see results on social media without the correct strategy in place. A strategy allows you to focus your social media marketing on a specific set of goals and will ultimately lead to the best results. In order to create a social media strategy you must first understand your goals, for example to drive website traffic and achieve conversions as a result. Of course, the right social media agency can help with that! Tips from Jeff Foster:
- Understand your goals
- Create measurable objectives
- Characterise your customers
- Look at the competition
- Develop your messages
- Choose your channels
- Build a content plan